Tuesday, December 6, 2011

So what if I quoted Popeye...

I sat trying to think of something to type that would inspire – that would motivate – that would make people happy. All that I could come up with was a hefty dose of sarcasm. Then it hit me…that light bulb moment I had been so desperately seeking. Sarcasm and me are like this **crosses fingers**. I’m not the inspirational or motivational guru. I’m the sarcasm guru. It’s who I am. That’s not to say that through my sarcasm there isn’t a hint of sincerity that may – in way one or another – inspire or motivate. It’s just that…if you’re looking for ooey gooey, sticky sweetness…this isn’t the place.

What brought about this revelation, you may ask?! I read a blog today that said to release yourself from trying to be “good enough”. It really hit home. I spend too much damn time trying to be everything to everyone. I rarely stop to think about who I am…to MYSELF. For some reason, I spend more time worrying about everyone BUT myself. As the New Year approaches - and before another year gets tacked on to my age - I figured now was as good a time as any to take stock of my life and figure out where I stand. So let’s do this together…take a few minutes, clear your mind and concentrate on YOU…where do you see yourself…what do you want out of 2012?

If you’re wondering just what the above mentioned few minutes might look like – here is what this crazy brain of mine came up with:

1) I live too much in my head. Sometimes I think I live life more in my head than I do out in the real world. I’m a thinker by nature and that is my problem. I think too much. I think WAY too much. Instead of getting out and just DOING…I – instead – THINK and PONDER over everything. Not very productive, let me tell you. I have to remember that some of the best moments in life aren’t planned or even thought of. They just happen when you least expect them.

2) I need to let myself be happy. Things will never turn out exactly how I want them to...and I won’t always get what I really want {and boy is that an understatement}…but life is good and I should be thankful for that. I read a quote once - on a refrigerator magnet of all places - that said, “Happiness is a journey!” It’s simple and brilliant. Couldn’t think of better words to live by.

3) Seriously…it’s ok if you don’t like me. More than likely, I don’t really like you either. I will never be liked by everyone…which makes it even more important to remember that I need to stop worrying about what everyone else thinks of me. What’s that phrase…”Other people’s opinions of you are none of your business.” Or something like that…

4) I will never be perfect. This one is uber important so I’m going to say it again with more emphasis…I WILL NEVER BE PERFECT. I need to be ok with that. As a self-declared perfectionist, I understand the hazards that come along with this infliction. Unfortunately, it’s a personality flaw and even though I shout it to the world here in this post, in 30 seconds I will have forgotten this statement and will be aiming for perfection yet again. So maybe the more important statement that needs to be made is…I am who I am…or even better…it is what it is. Live with it.

5) Those that don’t value my talent and who I am as a person, are not worthy of my time. Pretty self explanatory. Some of you should be worried. Just sayin’…

Of course, because I’m a thinker…I could probably come up with quite a few more, but I shall refrain…for now. Instead…I’ll leave you with this.

In the words of Popeye, “I am what I am!” If you don’t like it, well...that’s not my problem anymore :)

Happy Holidays ~ From Mama Mack

No comments:

Post a Comment